Home » » Healthy Valentine Treats!

Healthy Valentine Treats!

Written By Unknown on Tuesday, February 12, 2013 | 5:00 AM





Thanks to a good friend and a spectacular blog, I have really started to change the way I feed my family. The transition has been slow and was a bit of a challenge in the beginning (if you have been a long time follower you are aware of my addiction for all things sweet!)

On my journey to a more wholesome diet, I have definitely struggled with the decision of whether or not I was still going to keep making all of my traditional Holiday treats. Half of me would say, "But it's a Holiday, it only comes around once a year!!!" and the other half of me would say "yeah, it is a Holiday, but there are also a million other holidays and special occasions throughout the year." (lately, it seriously feels like there is some sort of "special" need for a dessert overload all.the.time).

So, I have decided to not cut sweets & treats completely out of our Holiday celebrating (that would make life much too boring!)...but I have been trying to make some healthy-er more wholesome ingredient decisions.

My 3yr old and I tested out this Homemade Pop-Tart Recipe from 100 Days of Real Food last week and it was seriously delicious (especially warm out of the oven!) The recipe uses homemade jam (just berries sweetened with honey instead of sugar) and all whole wheat flour for the crust. I never would have thought using whole wheat flour in a pastry crust would even turn out, but it did and it was a hit with everyone in the family!

Have you seen any healthy Valentine treats around? Please Share! 

Click below for more detailed instructions!


Whole Wheat Valentine Pastries

For the filling...
3 cups frozen berries (scant) or 12oz
1/2 cup honey
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

For the Crust...
I used THIS recipe from 100 Days of Real Food.

First, prepare the filling by combing berries, honey, and lemon juice in a small pot. Heat on med-high until the berries melt and mix begins to bubble (stir occasionally). Then, simmer all ingredients for about 30-45 min. or until the mix is nice & thick! 




While your filling is cooking, make your pastry crust according to Lisa's Instructions.

Cut pastry dough using a heart shaped cookie cutter. Place a small amount of jam in the center of each heart and spread it around a little.


Place a 2nd heart shape on top and crimp the edges together with a fork (any extra jam that comes out while crimping can be added to your other pastries).

Place all of your pastries on a baking sheet (covered in parchment or wax paper). Brush over egg mixture and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-20 min. (or until the tops are golden brown).


ENJOY! 
(with a glass of cold organic whole milk, of course :)

Blog Archive

Popular Posts

Powered by Blogger.